Pregnancy Bliss...Who Says?
I am not your most perky pregnant person...okay, I'll be honest. I'm not even close to being a perky pregnant person. I am the exact opposite of perky. I am pooped. I am tired and sick and I complain and complain and complain some more. The simple fact is, to me, pregnancy is nowhere near bliss. It's more like torture.
After gabbing with my friends last weekend, I was glad to hear that I am not the only one who feels this way. I don't usually say out loud that I hate pregnancy, because it makes me feel guilty. I immediately think of women who would kill to be able to get pregnant as easily and who would take the whole experience to heart, and enjoy every minute. But I can't help it. It's the way I feel. I mean, what is there to like?
First, you're sick. You get up in the morning, and before you can open your eyes you are sprinting to the kitchen, unashamedly shoving your children to the side as you dive for the refrigerator looking for anything you can put in your mouth so that you won't throw up. Then you run to the bathroom, where you dry-heave (if you're lucky) in the toilet anyway, as your kids stare at you wide-eyed, with a cracker in their little outstretched hand. Isn't this bliss? I'm just getting started.
Then there's the tiredness. Did I say tiredness...I mean extreme exhaustion. Just cleaning up the breakfast dishes wipes you out. Showers somehow seem like a insurmountable project...and do I really have to get dressed? Heck no, I'm dropping Ava off at preschool in my pjs....I'll throw on some clogs so it looks a little more professional. By 1pm, I can barely keep my eyes peeled. I put on cartoons for Ava, who even cares if they're educational at this point, and collapse on Isaac's bed. I am out before he is, and Ava comes in to tell me that he has escaped the bed. I practically lay on top of him, so I can get some rest. And as I wake up, I don't even feel rested. I spend the next hour on the sofa watching TLC or Little House on the Prairie, because I literally can't do anything else. If my family is lucky, I might have energy to cook dinner, but probably not. Bliss I tell you, pure bliss.
These two things alone, are enough to make my life miserable. But there's also the burgeoning belly that makes it difficult to bend over, and uncomfortable in any clothes. There's the back aches and the knee aches, and the peeing every 2 seconds. The acne and the stretch marks, and the sore breasts. And I won't even go into labor. That's it's own story. Would you like me to go on? BLISS.
See- pregnancy is not bliss. It is simply a road you have to take to get to the really blissful part. Post-pregnancy is bliss. It's definitely all worth it once that little baby is in your arms. So I will deal with the pregnancy and you will probably hear me complain about it...all for that little bundle of joy.
After gabbing with my friends last weekend, I was glad to hear that I am not the only one who feels this way. I don't usually say out loud that I hate pregnancy, because it makes me feel guilty. I immediately think of women who would kill to be able to get pregnant as easily and who would take the whole experience to heart, and enjoy every minute. But I can't help it. It's the way I feel. I mean, what is there to like?
First, you're sick. You get up in the morning, and before you can open your eyes you are sprinting to the kitchen, unashamedly shoving your children to the side as you dive for the refrigerator looking for anything you can put in your mouth so that you won't throw up. Then you run to the bathroom, where you dry-heave (if you're lucky) in the toilet anyway, as your kids stare at you wide-eyed, with a cracker in their little outstretched hand. Isn't this bliss? I'm just getting started.
Then there's the tiredness. Did I say tiredness...I mean extreme exhaustion. Just cleaning up the breakfast dishes wipes you out. Showers somehow seem like a insurmountable project...and do I really have to get dressed? Heck no, I'm dropping Ava off at preschool in my pjs....I'll throw on some clogs so it looks a little more professional. By 1pm, I can barely keep my eyes peeled. I put on cartoons for Ava, who even cares if they're educational at this point, and collapse on Isaac's bed. I am out before he is, and Ava comes in to tell me that he has escaped the bed. I practically lay on top of him, so I can get some rest. And as I wake up, I don't even feel rested. I spend the next hour on the sofa watching TLC or Little House on the Prairie, because I literally can't do anything else. If my family is lucky, I might have energy to cook dinner, but probably not. Bliss I tell you, pure bliss.
These two things alone, are enough to make my life miserable. But there's also the burgeoning belly that makes it difficult to bend over, and uncomfortable in any clothes. There's the back aches and the knee aches, and the peeing every 2 seconds. The acne and the stretch marks, and the sore breasts. And I won't even go into labor. That's it's own story. Would you like me to go on? BLISS.
See- pregnancy is not bliss. It is simply a road you have to take to get to the really blissful part. Post-pregnancy is bliss. It's definitely all worth it once that little baby is in your arms. So I will deal with the pregnancy and you will probably hear me complain about it...all for that little bundle of joy.
Comments