Lose It

Okay- I have hit the bottom. It is time to lose it...the weight, I mean. I had a sort of reality check. You know how you look in the mirror every morning, and you think to yourself, Yeah, I'm a little overweight, but it's not too horrible. I'm not cringing, and I have soooo many other activities to get done in the day. I just don't have time to workout, so I can live with this for now. That's where my head has been for the last...ummmmm....six, yes SIX years. UNTIL, I saw pictures of myself posted on facebook. Now, let's be honest. No one, I mean no one wants terrible pictures posted for all the world to see. Especially terrible pictures where you look at yourself and say, Is that really what I look like? That is not the person I see in the mirror. This is what happened to me over the weekend. I am staring at these pictures of myself on facebook thinking...this can not be me. But it is. It is me. So, the time has come to get this weight, from the last six years, off once and for all.

Where did all this extra weight come from? I am taking the low road and blaming my babies. I know exactly where this extra 25 lbs came from. I gained exactly 32 lbs when I was pregnant with Ava. This took me from 130 lbs to 152. I expected my weight to kind of go back down to it's original on it's own. And that just didn't happen. I was down to about 135 when I became pregnant with my second baby. Now, I put on 10 lbs with all of my pregnancies before I even take a pregnancy test. So, when I found out I was pregnant with my second child, I was already back up to 145. Then, at 12 weeks, I miscarried. This weight never had a chance to come off before I became pregnant with Isaac, and by the end of my pregnancy, my weight maxed out at 180. Yes, I could hardly believe that I weighed almost as much as my 6ft 1 in hubby. But then we were planning to have another baby in the very near future, so I didn't lose much before I became pregnant with Amaia...and the breastfeeding...I nurse for at least a year, and I am STARVING when I nurse. So, here I am, still breastfeeding and sitting at a not-so-pretty weight of 155 lbs with no more babies to use as excuses.

The thing is, I hate to exercise. I detest it. I avoid it like the plague. I mean, what is there to like about it? I'm tired to begin with and I'm supposed to go exert more energy? And all those people who say, "Oh, you'll feel so good after!" They lie. I don't feel better. I feel tired and sore on top of it. And I really don't have the time to spend working out and it's boring. Yes, these are the excuses that run through my head. But at this point, I know I have to do it. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that you have to expend more than you take in if you want to lose weight, and I do. Since I am still breastfeeding, I really can't cut out too much on what I already eat. I eat really healthy, so I have to exercise.

So, here is the game plan. I am following a 400 calorie meal diet. This means I should take in no more than 4, 400 calorie meals for a total of 1600 calories a day. I risk my milk supply by going under 1500, and I might need 1800, so we will see, but I figure 1600 is a good start. Next, I have purchased some workout DVDs. Although I hold a gym membership, it is pretty unreasonable for me to get to the gym every night, so I think DVDs are the way to go. I purchased Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred . I like this one, because it is a total body workout in 20 minutes, and it kicks my butt. I really have a hard time coming up with an excuse to not spend 20 minutes working out when I can really feel the results after. Next, I have Hemalayaa's Bollywood Burn, Dance Workout, and Bollywood Booty . These DVDs are for when I get bored with my workout. They are fun, and my kids love to do them with me, so again, it's hard for me to make excuses. And just in case I come up with any more excuses, I have Denise Austin's Blast Away 10 lbs. This video is kickboxing, and weight lifting, which I actually do like. And if for some reason I still can not manage to get my workout in, I have ordered a Sansa Clip MP3 player onto which I am going to download some audio books. The rule will be, that if I want to listen to my books, I need to be on the treadmill to do it.

Now, I just need to be held accountable. This is where you can help. I will post my progress weekly. If you don't hear from me, let me know. I have asked my hubby to keep me accountable by asking me if I worked out when he gets home. He's not too keen on the idea. So the accountability needs a back-up plan, which is you, the cyber world.

I am not going to put a deadline on my weight loss, in hopes that I will see progress and just keep going. Let's hope I lose it.

Comments

Kari Spalinger said…
How is it going Halie? Loved the post! I am at 179 with Hypo Thyroid bla, bla, bla...which is my excuse after two kids! I got up to 220 with both and they were big babies! My husband is 6'8! I try to walk at least 4 nights a week and then I circle back and grab Addi to take her to the park before dark. I would like to do this with you and track your progress. :) Keep in touch. Where do you live? You can send me a facebook message if you don't want to share your address with the world! Ha!

Popular Posts