You Know You're a Stay-at-Home Mom when...
You know you're a stay-at-home mom when you hear yourself saying, "No, really honey, why don't you let me pick-up the dog doo and mow the lawn this evening, and you can have time with the kids."
This is what happened to me last night. Those words really came out of my mouth. Now usually, John doesn't agree to this. He thinks it makes him look like an a** when the neighbors see me out there mowing the lawn. But last night, he agreed. It might have been that massage he just got home from. Or come to think of it, the last time this came up, I was pregnant (and weighing in beyond what I thought humanly possible for my frame). I was wanting to get a little exercise. He said there was no way his pregnant wife was going to push a lawn mower! So now, maybe his attitude has changed. My brother did yell across the street, "Sooo, it's time to mow the lawn, huh?" And when I told him that I asked to do the job, he said something to the effect that I was one crazy chick. That's exactly what I was thinking as I was cleaning up after our dog.
But there was something empowering about knowing I was doing a "man's job", as opposed to my usual domestic chores. And it was nice to actually accomplish something that doesn't get messed up immediately after you do it; like last Friday when I cleaned the entire house. It was beautiful. But by the time John got home that night, I was saying, "Wow...you should have seen the house today. It was so clean! So sorry you missed it!"
Let's face it, as a stay-at-home mom, every now and then, you just need to escape....ummm...do something different. You'd think I could have thought of a more glamorous activity, right?
Now let's hear yours...
This is what happened to me last night. Those words really came out of my mouth. Now usually, John doesn't agree to this. He thinks it makes him look like an a** when the neighbors see me out there mowing the lawn. But last night, he agreed. It might have been that massage he just got home from. Or come to think of it, the last time this came up, I was pregnant (and weighing in beyond what I thought humanly possible for my frame). I was wanting to get a little exercise. He said there was no way his pregnant wife was going to push a lawn mower! So now, maybe his attitude has changed. My brother did yell across the street, "Sooo, it's time to mow the lawn, huh?" And when I told him that I asked to do the job, he said something to the effect that I was one crazy chick. That's exactly what I was thinking as I was cleaning up after our dog.
But there was something empowering about knowing I was doing a "man's job", as opposed to my usual domestic chores. And it was nice to actually accomplish something that doesn't get messed up immediately after you do it; like last Friday when I cleaned the entire house. It was beautiful. But by the time John got home that night, I was saying, "Wow...you should have seen the house today. It was so clean! So sorry you missed it!"
Let's face it, as a stay-at-home mom, every now and then, you just need to escape....ummm...do something different. You'd think I could have thought of a more glamorous activity, right?
Now let's hear yours...
Comments