A.K.A. Moo- I've Got Milk
Isaac is still nursing. I nursed Ava for 14 months. So, I feel the need to give him the same treatment. Plus, my lucky children, have protein allergies to milk, can't tolerate soy, and turn their noses up to the hypoallergenic crap they try to pass off as milk. So- I really am stuck nursing until he hits 1. I say stuck, but I don't always feel that way. I know that it is the best possible thing you can do for your baby. I will attest to all of the joys and positive outcomes of breastfeeding. I proudly bare my breasts in public to nurture my baby...okay, maybe not proudly, but I do it.
I like nursing...when they're new. It's about now that I become weary (gasps heard around the world). And I feel guilty just saying that. But I said it. I AM WEARY of nursing.
It could be the fact that Isaac still nurses every 2 hours... okay, whenever he wants... all right- all the time!!! I am constantly whipping it out, for a suckle here, and a suckle there. And frankly it's getting tiresome. I'm partly to blame. I am what they call a "nurse on demand" kind of mom. I don't set a schedule. I figure they'll let me know when they're hungry. And my 23 lb., 10 month old son is hungry all the time! Yes, I know, 23 lbs should tell me he is getting plenty. It could be his new nursing positions. He starts out cradled in my lap, nursing from one, and milking the other. That's bad enough, but pretty soon he flips around so that he is facing me on his knees. Then, before I know it, he is raising his little butt into the air, legs standing, arms planted on my lap...yes, like a little calf. How adorable...not so much. Thank goodness Ava doesn't call me "Moo" anymore (yah, that's a whole different story). That would just be too much! And it's in all this maneuvering that I start to get nervous. This is due to his teeth. He has 8 of them now. And as he is twisting and turning, this is what I imagine is happening in his little head....
Ho hum....this is boring. Let me just see if I can (turning around)...oh..darn, I almost lost that nipple, good thing I have these teeth to grip with! Okay, now let's see if I can stand up, I just need a little more leverage...gosh these teeth come in handy....and why is mom screaming??? Geez, she's loud. Now, this is much more interesting. I'm his little feeding jungle gym...what kid wouldn't love that?!
The thing is- he senses my desire to quit. I know he does, because at this time, when he is supposed to be nursing less and eating more, he has actually gone on a solid food strike. First he dropped breakfast, now it's lunch and he'll only eat a few bites at dinner. (Take that mom). He's showing me who's boss. ("HE is, HE is!!!" shouts La Leche group). And so, I will keep counting down the days until he is 1, and wincing every time he moves a little...until that day when I feel that I can quit. And then I will look back on these days fondly, or at least with a good chuckle, and remember my cute little son, suckling like a calf.
Comments