Food Battles and the Art of Negotiation

My daughter loves food. She is a die-hard Racheal Ray fan, and she will beg to stay up and watch Good Eats (seriously). Her question is always the same, "Momma, are we having that for dinner?" (No honey, sorry). So the problem is not that she doesn't like food, she just doesn't like to eat food. Now, that's not all true. She thoroughly enjoys any baked delite, and is a carb addict. She could live on bread alone. Now, I know that smarter moms have chosen not to make food an issue, but I feel that it is my duty, as a mother, to see that she gets at least one healthy, balanced meal down everyday.
I have heard of Seinfeld's wife, and skimmed Deceptively Delicious, I have all sorts of kids cookbooks and magazines that insist your child will devour their recipes and not even know what hit them. But I'm not really into being "deceptive" about nutritious food (sorry Jessica Seinfeld). Here's how I see it- your kids grow up eating all the yummy tasting "goodies" that mom has prepared, secretly stirring in pureed sweet potato and mashed-up zucchini. Then they hit adulthood, and they are eating all the same "goodies" that they are used to, but low and behold...they are now gaining 600 lbs, and the doctor is telling them they are diabetic. They call up mom and she says, "Oh darling- I didn't just feed you brownies...I stirred in all the stuff that was good for you, so you didn't see it. Isn't that brilliant?". Ummmm, no.
So anyway- about Ava...last night, she got to choose what she wanted for dinner. She chose a chicken and cheese quesadilla with a brownie for dessert. Great. She sits down, "Mom, there's mushrooms in here." (Me)"No there's not, Ava, eat your dinner." (Ava)"But Mom, I tasted it, and there's something spicy like in there." (me)"No there's not, eat your dinner." (A)"Well, can I eat something else, and then eat my brownie?" (m) "No, that is what you wanted to eat, so eat it." (A) "Fine, I'm not eating anything." (m)"Fine, but you're going to get hungry later, and this is what you chose, so this will be the only thing you will eat tonight until it's gone." Now, you see my point here, right? I'm trying to show her that she can't waste food, she needs to eat what she asks for, and that she can't just eat anything to get her brownie. Seems reasonable to me...
Later that night, "Mom, I'm hungry." (m) "Eat your quesadilla." (A)"No. I don't want that." (M)"Well, then you're going to bed hungry young lady." (A)"Can I have oatmeal?" (m)"No." (A) "Fruit?" (m)"no." You get the picture. (A)"UHHHHHHH!!! And she storms out.
But low and behold, 10 minutes later she walks back in with a certain look on her sweet face. (m)"No." (A)"Mom, just listen to me. What if I eat only vegetables for dinner, and then I don't even ask to eat my brownie?"
I stare at her....oh....she's good. She's really good. How can I say no? She just offered to eat veggies...with no reward to follow. I would be crazy not to take her up on this, and she knows it. And with that sweet little smile, my daughter negotiated herself right out of having to eat her dinner, and got a whole bowl full of veggies instead. And I don't even feel bad about giving in. She's brilliant.
Comments