What is a Domestic Goddess, Anyway?
I am a self-proclaimed Domestic Goddess. I chose this title as soon as it became clear that I would be a full-time mom. I liked the way it sounded. I liked the pictures it conjured up in my head. You know- the cross between June Cleaver and a Victoria's Secret Angel. The size four woman, empowered in her role as a mother and wife. The woman who greets her husband every morning with a cup of coffee and a kiss, looking as if she just walked off the cover of Vogue. The one who bakes homemade, healthy treats her kids playgroups, hosts cocktail parties for her circle of friends, heads up the community service projects for her church, all with a dazzling smile.
Okay- flash back to real life. Remember, my son is eating toilet paper, and although I may greet my husband with a cup of coffee and a kiss most mornings, I resemble the bride of Frankenstein more than a supermodel. And although I try to cook healthy, homemade meals, my daughter just can't get enough of those hydrogenated brownies. Cocktail parties??? What is that? And I would love to head up a community service project, but most days I feel like my own house is a community service project!
But for some reason- my daughter still thinks I have supernatural powers (I chase away nightmares...and how do I know that she gave her brother just a little nudge, when I wasn't even in the room). My son knows that my arms are home. And I don't know what possesses him, but my husband still grabs my butt in passing, even when I look like the bride of Frankenstein.
So- what is a domestic goddess anyway? I may not live up to the dream I had in my head, but I think we can all be domestic goddesses...maybe we just need to tweak the definition a bit.
Okay- flash back to real life. Remember, my son is eating toilet paper, and although I may greet my husband with a cup of coffee and a kiss most mornings, I resemble the bride of Frankenstein more than a supermodel. And although I try to cook healthy, homemade meals, my daughter just can't get enough of those hydrogenated brownies. Cocktail parties??? What is that? And I would love to head up a community service project, but most days I feel like my own house is a community service project!
But for some reason- my daughter still thinks I have supernatural powers (I chase away nightmares...and how do I know that she gave her brother just a little nudge, when I wasn't even in the room). My son knows that my arms are home. And I don't know what possesses him, but my husband still grabs my butt in passing, even when I look like the bride of Frankenstein.
So- what is a domestic goddess anyway? I may not live up to the dream I had in my head, but I think we can all be domestic goddesses...maybe we just need to tweak the definition a bit.
Comments
DOMESTIC GRANDGODDESS!!!